Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Blind in my Oasis

I recently watched two documentaries- The first was 'Earthlings', which is about the exploitation of animals for human comfort and it's cruel excesses. The second was the first two of three episodes of 'Go Back to Where You Came From' which takes 6 Australians with strong opinions about the Australian illegal immigrant issue and gets them to walk the walk that refugees experience, in reverse. I have been overcome with indescribable emotions. Guilt? Anger? What do I do with this?

I sit here on my frickin' comfortable leather couch that was probably torn off some poor Indian cow that was probably tortured before death in my comfortable little oasis with a full fridge, shelter, doors unlocked not even thinking that we are in any danger with warm clothes on my fancy computer, wasting hours on nothing and indulgent comfort. All around me are the products of the exploitation of people and people groups. I live in an Oasis whilst most of the world is living in hell on earth. And our nation demands to keep those that are fleeing danger out and beg to come here for a new start. I think all of us Westerners are going to have a lot to answer for on judgment day. I feel sick and tired from crying. All I know is that this is not even the tip of the iceberg. I wish I wasn't so selfish and sinful. I wish I could live the life that would be the logical response to these facts but I'm weak. Holy Spirit, help.

No comments: